>

KENNETH N COOK

SongSoptok | 4/10/2015 |




THE DEATH OF DREAMERS

Dreamers
die
100 times;
for
we awaken
to a world
so dark,
so cold
that the
only light
sits in
a tiny
silence
behind
our eyes,
where
unseen tears
sparkle
in the
midst of
a black
chamber
of sorrow
for
100
lost hopes
and
100 abandoned
promises.


THE EDGE OF MADNESS

Above my head, the azure blue sky:
The white rolling clouds and warm, glowing sun
present a majestic backdrop to the cool, fanning breeze
which licks my face in a delicious, pagan indulgence.
Below my feet, the raven black chasm:
The gray ribbons of heat and dark, yawning mouth
of the deep, dizzying abyss shoot a wave of terror
up into my brain, twisting my mind into a ball of insanity.
Like a piece of human taffy, I am stretched:
The royal-blue dome pulls me upward into
a free-spirited, unlimited realm of endless bliss,
as the deep ebony pit yanks me downward into
a horror-filled chasm of never-ending sickness.
I vacillate between the extremes of human existence:
Pulled, yanked and stretched until my mind succumbs
to the ill, unbridled circus of crazy uncertainty
and I surrender my helpless will to the borderline
struggle, wobbling here on the edge of madness.


COMINGS & GOINGS

He lies immobile on the hard, narrow bed;
his wheezing, raspy, rattling breath coming in
and going out in dry, rhythmic gasps
unheard in the cold, dark, silent room
as his dying brain rages against the final exit.
She feels herself being pressed and squeezed
through some black, wet passageway
with a brand new experience never imagined
in her brief nine months of existence;
pushing her from the only home she’s ever known.
His pale, clammy, sallow skin begins to mottle
with purple-red lines of death spreading
slowly outward from his fingers and his toes,
and culminating in one final, trembling,
bony clutch at the cold, empty, indifferent air.
Her tiny, blue, slippery body shoots through
and a white, bright something appears
from everywhere as she draws a hot, dry
rush of air into her unused lungs with a shocking,
gasping explosion; welcoming her to life.


 [KENNETH N COOK]


Comments
0 Comments

No comments:

Blogger Widgets
Powered by Blogger.