>

KENNETH NORMAN COOK

SongSoptok | 11/15/2015 |





NEW MORNING

On the amber rays of
an October morning sun
I ride out from
a cold dark night
into the bright warmth
of a new day.
For the black fears
of midnight
have melted
into the soft
welcoming melodies
of a golden dawn.
I have destroyed
the demons
and snuffed out
the raging fires.
I am free to sail
with the tides
and soar on
cool gentle breezes.
~ Kenneth Norman Cook


A PRIVATE LITTLE WAR

Like a black ember of molten steel
sizzling within my brain and
searing into the core of my soul,
something has waged war on me
without warning and without a word.
Like a dirty secret, the battle rages
on like a silent holocaust, unknown
to the self-engaged outside world:
A bloodless attack by an unseen enemy.
Like a private little war, I am
lying in a trench in my fiery head,
while the bombs explode and the
bullets fly… Like a personal battle,
I am fighting for my life.
And I am losing the war.
Oh god… I am losing the war!
~ Kenneth Norman Cook


SILENT SCREAM

Life grabs him by the hair
and pries open his mouth,
shoving red hot coals of fear
and jealousy down his throat.
Existence kicks him in the crotch,
doubling him over in open-mouthed
breathless agony, while phantom
laughter echoes across the sky.
Death silently screams in his ear
with a skull-shattering squeal
he can only hear in the deepest
darkest chamber of his heart,
where the black deadly truth resides
in hushed and smiling patience.

~

[KENNETH NORMAN COOK]

Comments
0 Comments

No comments:

Blogger Widgets
Powered by Blogger.