>

MEGAN GOFF




SONGSOPTOK: Do you think literature is really essential in our life? If so why? In your opinion, what is the true relationship between life and literature? What is your own experience? And how does this relationship relate to the general history of mankind?

MEGAN: I truly do believe that literature is essential in our lives. In some cases, literature is there to teach us a lesson. Heroine’s within literature have taught me to never give up on my dreams. I believe that women in society can look to the heroines within their favorite novels and books of other genres to teach them  never to give up on what they dream to be.


SONGSOPTOK: We would like to know the beginning of the story, i.e. how your upbringing contributed to your own writing. Who were your favorite literary figures during the early period of your life? How they have paved your early routes in literature?

MEGAN: At very young age, I was introduced to literature. I was shown that it is great to have an imagination and not let anyone tell you otherwise. Being a poet, when I was younger, I loved Robert Frost and Shel Silverstein. Robert Frost taught me to draw from my surroundings. While Silverstein taught me to tell my imagination run wild.


SONGSOPTOK:  Do you think that literature also bridges the human world with the Mother Nature? As well as with the present time of our surroundings?

MEGAN: I believe that we are definitely influenced by our surroundings whether it be something in nature or something that man has created. Everything around us will shape our literature in one way or another.


SONGSOPTOK: What are the main events that you think are the major issues that have influenced present day literature?

MEGAN: There are so many events these days that have influenced our literature. Even though it is  fifteen years ago, I do believe that 9/11 attacks still influence literature. I believe that terrorism in general has a huge influence on literature.


SONGSOPTOK:  Do you think in this age of information and technology the dimensions of literature has largely been extended beyond our preconceived ideas about literature in general? Now in this changing scenario we would like to know from your own life experiences as a poet, writer and a creative soul; how do you respond to this present time

MEGAN:I believe that the dimensions of literature are ever changing. The age of information and technology has made research much more accessible than it was in the past. It has also influenced the sale of books because of increase eBook and audiobook sales.


SONGSOPTOK: Now if we try to understand tradition and modernism in literature, do you think poetry can play a pivotal role relating the two? If so, how? What are your opinions about the role of the poet in bridging the gap, if any, between tradition and modernism?

MEGAN: I truly do not believe that  the gap between traditional and modernist poetry can be bridge. We have reached so far from the poetry of old that some of the poetry nowadays does not even remind me of the stuff I grew up knowing and loving that I was taught in school. It has lost its rhyme and rhythm.

                                    
SONGSOPTOK: Do you think that society is the key factor in shaping you up as a writer. What about your own country? What is the influence of your country & your culture in your writing? Do you believe that all writers are by and large the product of their nationality?  Is it an incentive or an obstacle for becoming a truly international writer?

MEGAN: Yes society does have an large influence on the way that I write.  It is true that a writer’s country and culture can be a key factor in the way they write. For an international writer, I believe that this can be an obstacle because someone of another culture because of their influences may find it difficult to read what you have written.


SONGSOPTOK:  Do you believe creative souls flourish more in turmoil than in peace? Why? Are you a protagonist of "art for art's sake"? Can you please present us with your point of view?

MEGAN: I do believe that creative souls do flourish in turmoil more than in peace. It seems to me that conflict breeds creativity.  I am not a protagonist of “art for art’s sake.” I am more of an “ art for feeling’s sake.” I believe in literature as a way of expressing oneself.


SONGSOPTOK:  Do you think people in general actually bother about literature in general?  Do you think this consumerist world is turning the average man away from serious literature? And do you think poetry or literature can solve any problems in our everyday life? Why should we adhere to it?

MEGAN: I do believe that people in general are being turned away from serious literature. I believe one of the problems is that there are too many copycats in the world. What I mean by that is that there are so many authors that do not have their own distinct point of view where if you read them you can tell just by reading them who they are without even reading the authors name on the cover. Another problem is that many authors these days have lost art of storytelling in favor of the mantra sex sells.


SONGSOPTOK:  Are you a feminist? Can literature play any decisive role in feminism at all? What role can literature play to make our lives better on a day to day basis?

MEGAN: I do consider myself a feminist. I believe that literature most definitely plays a role in the feminist movement. It is literature and as well as other industries that help to influence our points of you. Feminist writings can help to assist women in getting the equality that they so readily deserve.


SONGSOPTOK: Now if we want to look ahead, do you think that there is an oncoming crisis for literature in general? Will it bring new dimensions in our life ahead? Or do you think that the future of literature is not as bright as it should be?

MEGAN: I do believe that there will be crisis that will influence the literary world. With the United States of America just electing a brand new president, it is truly unpredictably as to what changes that spells out for the United States in the upcoming four years and how they will influence the literary world and beyond.


MEGAN GOFF: I am a poet whose family has been a huge influence on her life and her literature. While poetry is my main outlet for my creativity, I also love to bake and as well as play music. I play multiple instruments as well as singing. My dream is to open my own bake shop someday.


We sincerely thank you for your time and hope we shall have your continued support.
Aparajita Sen
(EDITOR)

 Songsoptok

Comments
0 Comments

No comments:

Blogger Widgets
Powered by Blogger.